Our client is a long established and well-known player in the global spirits and whiskey sector. Harty Search & Selection has been exclusively retained to source suitable candidates for a General Manager – Ireland to lead its state-of-the-art operational and distilling activities in Ireland
- Manage, lead and motivate the team based in Ireland (Production, Quality Assurance, Finance and Visitor Centre): lead the team in achieving set targets for quality, compliance, cost, production output and operational efficiency. Ensure that all personnel have the required competencies and/or avail of appropriate upskilling or management development opportunities.
- Manage 3rd Party relationships: negotiate / manage contracts with the local suppliers for raw materials or other items required for Distillery operations and for the Visitor Centre with the support of the Corporate Purchase Department (Corporate HQ
- Achieve budgetary targets: oversight of expenditure and costs associated production operations and a Visitor Centre.
- Manage the relations with the 3rd party Irish authorities, both political (local and national) and industrial; e.g. local County/City Council, Local Authority, Irish Water, Dept. of Agriculture, Department of Revenue and relevant industry representative association, etc.
- Be responsible for the site’s operating activities in terms of compliance with industry and local regulations; to deal with management issues relevant to the Irish operations; and to represent the company at local and industry specific events.
- To participate in the development of the “brand” in co-operation with the Global Marketing Department and to ensure that production output for Irish operations is in line with the defined strategic objectives.
COMPETENCES AND EXPERIENCE:
- In-depth knowledge of the Distilling / Brewing environment and strong appreciation of the irish tradition and reputation of distilling /brewing with additional emphasis in operations management as well as compliance.
- Experience in senior role such as Operations Director or General Manager in a distillery or similar spirits production or brewing company.
- Experience in managing institutional and industry specific relationships. Existing contacts with relevant and/or important industry stakeholders is an advantage.
- Experience of managing in a processing or factory environment to include oversight of quality assurance team members is important. Additional experience or responsibility for a visitor centre or similar entity is welcome, but not essential.
- Knowledge of environmental regulations as well as relevant industry standards and guidelines pertaining to Irish operations and processes.
- Experience in managing inventory in the context of whiskey or spirits, a knowledge of maturation and aging processes and relevant regulations.
- The General Manager – Ireland is the key representative for Irish operations, both internally and externally (whiskey / spirits sector); Personal presence, natural people skills, excellent communication skills and leadership qualities are important. A passion for the industry and a willingness to actively participate in brand advocacy is also key.
The General Manager – Ireland will oversee and supervise site operational activities as well as advocate for the Irish whiskey brands. Direct reports will include the Distillery Manager, Financial Controller and the Visitor Centre Manager. The QA function will report to the Distillery Manager.
For further information on this role, please contact Liam McDonnell at Harty Search & Selection;